All instruction and certification done by Illinois State Police Approved Instructor
Public Classes currently being held most weekends, see the schedule link for dates or to pre-register a spot at no charge. Alternate scheduing such as weekdays are also available, contact us! Eligibility requirements and other information available below. Be sure to check the prior training credit link if you have other state permits or recognized training. The most common is the 8 hour credit for military, who should bring their DD-214 or equivilent to the second "mandatory" class.
The 8 nour NRA Basic Pistol class is offered for those without prior formal training, from beginners to those who have experience but no acceptable documentation. It is the most common acceptable "proof of training" throughout the country. The live fire element of this class is normally done prior to the qualification on day 2. No certificates are issued until all of the class, including live fire, are complete. NO LIVE AMMUNITION IN THE CLASSROOM!
The 8 hour Illinois Specific class is required by anyone seeking the Illinois Concealed Carry License. This class first focuses on Deferal and State laws pertaining to firearm ownership, crimes associated with firearms, use of force laws, proper interaction with law enforcement, safe haven, prohibited areas (see sign above right) etc. Concealment techniques and holsters are discussed, as well as defensive techniques and avoidance. Dry fire practice and holster usage are also covered using laser-based training pistols. There is also a live fire qualification at an outdoor range, with the opportunity to practice beforehand.
The cost of the Illinois License is $150 (actually, $151 by electronic check or $153.53 by credit card) and is good for 5 yearts. After 5 years, a 4 hour refresher course will be required before renewal. Fingerprint submission is "optional," however note that the state has an additional 30 days under statute for a manual background check. Currently applications submitted with prints seem to average around 45 days, while applications without are running in excess of 100 days. Livescan fingerprinting is available at various locations, and typically costs $50-55. Training costs are listed on the pricing page, and there are no hidden/extra fees beyond those listed here.
ILLINOIS RESIDENTS ELIGIBILITY
- I am at least 21 years old.
- I have a valid Firearm Owner’s Identification card. (*or be in the process of getting one)
- I have not been convicted or found guilty of a misdemeanor involving the threat of physical force or violence to any person within the past 5 years.
- I do not have 2 or more violations related to driving while under the influence of alcohol, other drugs, intoxicating compounds within the past 5 years.
- I am not subject to a pending arrest warrant, prosecution or proceeding for an offense or action that could lead to disqualification to own or possess a firearm.
- I have not been in a residential or court-ordered treatment for alcoholism, alcohol detoxification, or drug treatment within the past 5 years.
- You may be eligible if you satisfy the above and no objections are filed by law enforcement.
Acceptable Prior Training PDF - Acceptable Credit for Training (8 hours maximum), most common being a DD-214 (8 hours credit.)